Sunday, July 26, 2015

Analyzing deck archetypes with MATH

I started building this programming / math / Netrunner project of mine. The goal is to analyze huge number of Netrunner decklists and categorize them into archetypes using mathematical statistics.

What do I have so far?
  • reading card stats from netrunnerdb.com API
  • reading tournament and decklist data from acoo.net
  • currently using ugly command line input/output, totally incomprehensible to anyone but me
  • ability plot decklist similarity using mathematical statistics
What do I mean by the last point? Let's take all the Near Earth Hub decks with the Breaker Bay legal poolset from acoo.net. After putting all the data I got into a plot graph, I get this:

31 Near Earth Hub decks

What is this? This is a 2-dimension representation of deck similarity. Each dot is a deck. The distance of these dots represents the similarity of decks. If two decks are similar, they will be close to each other. If there are lot of differences, they will be far apart.

3 main deck archetypes as clusters of dots

After examining the data, it is clear that similar decks form clusters in this graph. These clusters are actual deck archetypes. Cool, huh? :)

So what's next? I will be expanding this project, adding functionality, hopefully a usable web UI. I'm totally unfamiliar with front-end technologies, so any suggestions are welcome. The current code is quite crappy, hard-to-use, hard-to-understand, please don't ask for it. I will be sharing my results here, if I make some new achievements.

No comments:

Post a Comment